Health officials investigated Moscow public pool twice this summer

I’ve had quite a few people ask me about what’s been happening at the Moscow pool.

Diarrhea in a pool and a chlorine spill on a lawn caused the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatics Center in Moscow to shut down early Sunday.

Moscow Parks and Recreation Director Dwight Curtis said someone had relieved themselves in the activity pool

Via the Daily News

Health officials from Public Health – Idaho North Central District have visited the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatics Center in Moscow three times this summer, including twice to investigate concerns about the facility, according to Ed Marugg, the district’s environmental health director.

Marugg said he believes HLAC is the only pool of the 12 annually inspected in the five-county district to have needed extra inspections this year. Annual inspections are the only times the health district inspects the pools unless health complaints are reported.

In Latah County, the district annually inspects the HLAC, University of Idaho Swim Center, Potlatch city pool and Kendrick War Memorial Pool, Marugg said.
All three visits to the HLAC by district officials were made in July. The first visit was an annual inspection, which was passed, Marugg said.

Health district personnel visited the pool a second time after an individual claimed his or her child became ill after swimming in the pool, Marugg said. No issues were discovered.

The third and latest investigation came after an incident involving a chlorine spill Sunday. A HLAC employee who was attempting to use chlorine to deal with diarrhea in the activity pool threw a bucket with a water and chlorine mixture onto the lawn in an effort to stop an unexpected chemical reaction in the bucket. The pool closed Sunday after the incident.
Marugg said health personnel focused on the chlorine release when they arrived at the HLAC on Monday. He said they did not check the pool chemistry since the fecal accident happened the day before and the pool had already been “super chlorinated.”

Marugg said the district is still looking into the chlorine spill.